The Data Protection Act (DPA), Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR) and The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) which is
UK wide and far more extensive, seek to protect and enhance the rights of data subjects. These rights cover the safeguarding of personal data, protection against the unlawful processing of personal data and the unrestricted movement of personal data within the UK. It should be noted that GDPR does not apply to information already in the public domain such as Companies House data.
MRKH Stars is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using our website you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING ANY PERSONAL DATA
To meet MRKH Stars’s obligations to support service users and provide you with the services, products or information you have requested, for administration purposes and to further our charitable aims, including for fundraising activities. Your consent to these services is the legal basis for processing.
We will not pass your details to other organisations without your prior consent, unless required to do so by law. For example, we reserve the right to provide your personal details to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for Gift Aid purposes if appropriate.
We have a number of lawful reasons that mean we can use (or process) your personal information. One lawful reason is something called ‘legitimate interests’. Broadly speaking Legitimate Interests means we can process your personal information if:
• We have a genuine and legitimate reason.
• We are not harming any of your rights and interests.
HOW DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION?
We collect your personal information in a number of ways:
• When you provide it to us directly.
• When you provide permission to other organisations to share it with us (including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter).
• When we collect it as you use our website or apps.
• When you have given it to a third party and you have provided permission to pass your information on to us.
When providing permission for third party organisations to share your data you should check their Privacy Policies carefully to understand fully how they will process your data. MRKH Stars will not be held liable for information we receive from authorised third party organisations. However, we will ask for consent for any of that information to be published on our website or any affiliated media.
WHAT WE COLLECT
We may consensually collect the following information:
• Name, title and age
• Contact information including email address
• Demographic information such as city, country
• Your journey stage, preferences and interests
• Diagnosis story and any relevant details
• Personal and emotional information which you may choose to share with us or our ambassadors
• Other information relevant to events, news and surveys
• Video, audio, writing or other media submitted to the site for public sharing
WHAT WE DO WITH INFORMATION GATHERED
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service and we may use the information to improve our content and services, send emails with news, events and other information which, we think you may find interesting, using the email address which you have provided.
Information you give to us may be published as content for our website. Nothing will be posted with your consent and we agree to remove anything from our website or other affiliated internet pages (such as Instagram, TikTok, Facebook or Twitter) if you require us to do so.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for information and research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, or mail. You can unsubscribe at any time.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
• If you are asked to fill in a form on the website, ensure you read the form in its entirety and are confident of what you are consenting to e.g. volunteering opportunities, notification of events, newsletter etc.
• When work written by ambassadors or volunteers is posted, the name of the writer, age, general location (country/region), and image may accompany it. If you wish any part of this information not to be included, we ask that you make it clear when contacting a member of the team.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties
By agreeing to this privacy notice you are consenting to MRKH Stars processing your personal data for the purposes outlined. You can withdraw consent at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
MRKH Stars will process personal data during the duration of any service user engagement or for a period of one month. If consent is given to retain information to receive further notifications e.g. events, updates, newsletters, volunteering. MRKH Stars will process personal data until consent is withdrawn and will continue to store only the personal data needed.
All the personal data we process is processed by our members in the UK. However, for the purposes of IT hosting and maintenance your information may be situated outside of the UK. This will be done in accordance with guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
YOUR RIGHTS AS A DATA SUBJECT
At any point whilst MRKH Stars is in possession of or processing your personal data, all data subjects, have the following rights:
• Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
• Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
• Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
• Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
• Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
• Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
• Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
In the event that MRKH Stars refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why, which you have the right to legally challenge.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computers hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added, and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it appropriately. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
For the Chrome web browser, please visit this page from Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
For the Internet Explorer web browser, please visit this page from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
For the Firefox web browser, please visit this page from Mozilla: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
MRKH Stars cannot be held responsible for information on third party websites and users should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by MRKH Stars, you have the right to complain to MRKH Star’s Director. If you do not get a response within 30 days, you can complain to the ICO. The details for each of these contacts are:
Victoria Lane, Founder/Lead Star of MRKH Stars - email@example.com
ICO Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
If you have any questions, or any concerns, please feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org